Message from Mayor Pat Rockinberg, "The Opioid crisis is a national epidemic. Governor Hogan has declared war on it and counties, cities and municipalities across the nation are going Purple for September to raise awareness. We have all been touched in some way. As a town I encourage us... to support this incentive to raise awareness."
What are we going to do the increase awareness? Beginning September 1st:
- Lighting up town-owned buildings in downtown Mount Airy
- Encouraging businesses to decorate in purple in September, take pictures and post on social media using the hashtag #mountairygoespurple. Town Council will vote for the best decorated business at the October Town Council meeting
- Encouraging all town council members and town council meeting attendees to wear Purple at the September 9th meeting.
- Encouraging all of Mount Airy to wear purple lapel ribbons. Ribbons will be available at Town Hall starting September 9th.
- Inviting Mayor and Town Council to help decorate Main Street with purple ribbons. This event will take place September 5th from 6:00-6:30 PM.
- Distributing "Paint the Town Purple" flyers
- Posting banner to increase awareness of the crisis
See this message from Governor Hogan
Download the flyer
To find out other ways you can help raise awareness and save lives, click on the link below.